GIS Mapping Services
Milliken Forestry Company has provided diverse Geographic Information System (GIS) and Global Positioning System (GPS) services throughout the southeast since 1994. Over the years, MFC has emerged as a leader of GIS/GPS services in the forest industry. In general, these services encompass the creation and maintenance of detailed type maps and sophisticated databases.
Using state-of-the-art equipment and software, we provide the highest-quality GIS mapping & GPS services including -
- Data Collection and Conversion
- Database Creation
- Data Modeling and Analysis
- Custom Map Interface Design and Development
- Aerial Photography Interpretation
In today’s environment, designing and implementing a comprehensive GIS plan is the foundation for sound management decisions. GIS enables managers to develop detailed maps that assist in demonstrating the distribution of various forest conditions and age class distribution for harvest scheduling. Detailed GIS maps provide an overview for analyzing bio-diversity, wildlife habitat, and neighboring features. GIS mapping also provides a means to track elements of stands necessary for analyzing detailed timber types, land types, topography, access to harvest areas, and other management needs. With the use of handheld GPS devices and data recorders, GIS data can be easily deployed to the field or gathered from the field.
In addition to our primary GIS Mapping & GPS services, MFC provides various types of GIS analysis including –
- Digital elevation model (DEM) analysis determining slope for efficiency gains concerning field work
- Suitability mapping using spacial analysis techniques to determine optimal site based on multiple criteria
- Spatial analysis using observed field data to interpolate values across a continuous surface using techniques such as kriging and inverse-distance weighted models
- Analysis of LiDAR (light detection and ranging) data in order to determine true terrain versus tree canopy for extracting tree heights.
For more information about our GIS Mapping & GPS services, please contact us.